The gardens west and south of the house were reconstructed after the surviving garden design dating from around 1705, and are marked by a formal layout with symmetrical patterns of clipped box enclosing beds of 18th-century flowering and ornamental plants. A particularly pretty part is the walled pleasure garden in front of the pavilion, with its trellissed arches and arbours.
The natural ‘sundial garden’ is special too.
To the east of the mansion is the utility area with a kitchen garden where vegetables and potherbs are grown and an orchard with ancient strains of apple tree and a pear-tree pergola.
In summer, the flowering rose tunnel is not to be missed!